Senior Design Engineer
|Reports to: Vice President Manufacturing & Engineering||Department: Engineering|
|Full time/Part time: Full time||Exempt/Nonexempt: Nonexempt|
This role is responsible for developing and sustaining firearm and ammunition product designs from concept through production, including research, design, testing, problem solving, improvements, procedure development and documentation.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design and develop new firearm and ammunition products and related components
- Create innovative and efficient designs through the proficient use of 3D CAD and GD&T.
- Manage design projects including building of prototypes, testing and evaluation
- Create, evaluate, validate and approve product designs and drawings
- Design and/or evaluate alternative components, materials and processes to improve product performance, reduce costs and improve efficiency
- Design testing and manufacturing fixtures and gages
- Lead problem solving efforts of product related problems while collaborating with Quality and Manufacturing
- Team with Sourcing and Suppliers related to product requirements, manufacturability and cost
- Team with Product Management, Manufacturing, Quality and Supply Chain to execute smooth launch of new products
- Collaborate with Product Management to write technical product procedures and specifications
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Other duties as assigned. Travel is expected.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent degree
- 5+ years of experience in firearms engineering preferred
- Technical capacity
- Strong knowledge of firearm and ammunition materials, mechanical properties and ballistics
- High level of proficiency with 3D CAD; 2-dimensional drafting and GD&T
- Extensive experience with SolidWorks CAD software
- Experience with problem solving methods such as DMAIC as well as Robust Engineering design principles
- Familiarity with manufacturing processes including machining, metal finishing, heat treating, plastic and metal injection molding
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally to industry trade shows and vendor factories to support production and product development
- Communication Proficiency
- Strong communication, presentation and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team environment in a manner that facilitates teamwork.
ACCOUNTABILITY AND MEASURES:
Meet objective goals assigned by Vice President Manufacturing & Engineering during performance coaching.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is required to acknowledge:
- Working expectations: list such as stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee will be subject to prolonged standing. The employee must be able to manipulate and assemble small parts.
- Specific vision abilities: list such as close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Weight requirement: The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 56 pounds and push/pull up to 52 pounds.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITY SPECIFICATIONS PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is not exposed to weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. This job operates in a clerical office setting, routinely uses standard office equipment including computers, telephones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines. While performing the duties of this job, this position may be exposed to the manufacturing environment and be exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in this work environment can be loud.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:
Weatherby is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you have the skills, experience and background that match the requirements of this position, please complete and submit an employment application, cover letter of introduction and resume by responding to HR@weatherby.com.